Edwards RV5 Acquired (MIT Lab cleanouts FTW)
I recently acquired this pump and it runs great except for this small problem that it has when you turn it on. As it turns out, when you turn it on you are greeted by the nice gurgling sound of a pump taking in a room full of air and oil sprayed in your face...a whole lot of oil. The best part is that not only does it spray your face but it sprays the floor and everything within 5 or so feet in the direction of the spray. First thoughts are that the pump works great, the vanes are in more or less good condition, but a shaft seal or some other gasket or other is broken. This leak happens where the Edwards plastic yellowish plate meets the front part of the pump. While I already have a vacuum pump good enough to back my turbo, I hope to get this beauty up and running soon. Hopefully I can restore it to its former glory and repaint it. Stay tuned for when I open it up and take a peek inside.
One Massive Loss of Oil Later
So I lost a little over half of my oil, thankfully this pump is a beast and can run with very little oil. What you see in that cup is oil that was extracted from the pump. As you can see, the oil is very clean, no solids in the oil. Perhaps a bit discolored but nonetheless it seems like fairly clean oil.
A Few Bolts And Lots Of Allen Wrenches Later...
Well Time To Be Cheap But Effective As Usual
So A 1 MM Gasket That Weighs Less Than A Paper Plate Was Ruining My Beloved Pump. Notice how the middle left of the gasket bends outwards. Well it turns out that this protrusion was enough to make my pump spray out half of its heart out. Well so it turns out I just had to bend it back while precariously trying to hold it in place while i re-screwed on the front section. Here's where being clever helps out. So the oil spray came out from one specific side right? I.e. the side that had the bent gasket. Well so I wasn't sure whether or not it was the gasket or the shaft seal. Well the gasket must be the same forwards and backwards so lets just flip it so that the damaged part of the seal is now on the other side. With this configuration we get two possible scenarios, either of which is a win. So we either figure out if it was indeed the gasket or the shaft seal if the spray occurs on the other side. Granted we wouldn't have solved the problem if there was still a spray but at least it would confirm whether or not it was the gasket. Win. Or we fix the gasket by bending it back in place, the pump ends up working. Win. As it turns out, it was indeed the gasket and after repairing the gasket I reassembled the pump and it now hums away happily as it pumps. Sound was compared to a functioning RV model pump and it was identical leading me to believe that it is fixed and in good condition. As it turns out the pump was at some point serviced as it had more oil than it needed (above the max fill line), had a new looking service sticker, and really good condition oil. So chances are that it might have been serviced recently which is great news for me. Oh and some friends gave me a cord for the pump as it came without one and contrary to its documentation it runs off of 115-120 @ 60Hz VAC for NA.